Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Sound of Silence



The sound of silence is not a sound that I hear often on Sundays anymore, at first that was really difficult, but now I have come to like the many different sounds and experiences my Sundays bring.

There was a time that I would get my family ready for church, go to church, be a sponge soaking in the spirit, come home and eat, and sleep. I felt like I was wrapped in a cocoon of warm fuzzy love. As silly as that sounds, I am quite serious. It was the most peaceful day of the week.

Now, it is a very full day of service, where I give of myself and share my talents, and grow through being active rather then sitting there and soaking up what others were giving.

Today, my husband and I taught our primary class of 5 year olds that Jesus will come again. We had a great time talking to them about the friends and family that they look forward to seeing again, that they have not seen for awhile, and how that relates to getting to see Jesus when he comes again. We played a game that taught about how to prepare for when he comes using little colored plastic bears that we had from a game my in-laws gave us when I was visiting Utah last year. It was fun to see the children advance and discuss the different arrows that they landed on. I noted to myself how much they have grown this year, how all of them can now write their names themselves and no longer need my help. They all have been able to tie their shoes now, and compete to see who can be the most reverent so that they can be the leader for bathroom break and then who is the most reverent so they can lead the rest to singing time. We advanced with these children from last year. So, it will be strange to have all new children next year, which we have heard will be the case. We don't know what class we will be teaching yet.

After church, my youngest son had a little frustration moment with a girl from church. It took quite awhile to get him to open up and talk about why he was frustrated and finally accept her apology, while it was amusing in a way, I did wonder why he wanted to hold so much in rather then just work it out. It made me think about times in my life where I thought being angry at someone accomplished something, when all that it did, was make me miserable. I am glad that he got over it, because she is a nice girl, and I like her. I would not like to see my son hold a grudge forever over the incident LOL.

I also had choir rehearsal, which I enjoy usually. I just was rushing in there due to trying to understand what happened to upset my son, and the choir moved their rehearsal location, so I had no idea where they were. I finally figured it out, I rushed in there, and then immediately it was 'Solo sister Davis'. LOL Being an emotional individual, especially when it comes to singing, I was not ready, but I tried. We perform this next Sunday, so I will make sure to be relaxed and ready then. I love the ward choir. No pressure and singing about themes that absolutely make me feel happy. And if I mess up, it is ok, I am not surrounded by professionals, well, except for the director and his wife, they are professionals!

So, then I come home and for lunch have a tuna sandwich. Making simple meals for Sundays really does help the house stay peaceful. My home has become my sanctuary, and I love being here. If you dropped by, you are likely to smell incense, hear classical or world culture music and be offered a cup of herbal tea. I like to crochet right now, so that is what I would be working on or reading a book.

Sundays are different tho, we try to make them stand out from the rest of the week. We play hymns, and try to do nothing at all but be together and enjoy resting and relaxing. Tonight, we all made homemade french fries and fry sauce, which is something we will create ourselves at restaurants too. Utah has it all over the place, you could even buy "Some Dudes Fry Sauce" at the grocery store. Not something that I have seen here yet in the five years and four months that we have lived in Missouri.

At this moment, my husband is working on untangling the yarn that he is using to make a King sized blanket for our bed. A project I wanted to do myself, but with all that I am trying to make, he wanted to do for me. My entire family can crochet because of these Nifty Knitters that I was given for my birthday last month. I think it is great, it has awakened us in a way to make things for ourselves of higher quality and for a lower cost. My youngest daughter will crochet right on her stuffed animals making them pants and shirts and who knows what all. It makes me laugh to see some of their creations, but it is great to see them create. Sometime, when I get batteries that fit my digital camera, I will have to have them put on the bear costumes that they have made and some things they have crocheted and share those.

Since it is 11 days until Christmas, I have some creative work to get to myself. So, it is off to hot chocolate and time working beside my husband. This time in the evening is my favorite. But, my favorite time in the morning is our couple scripture study. I just really treasure 'our' time.

Our families are so precious, and they are gone faster then we realize, all grown up and no longer making messes, or noise, or interesting creations, and at sometime, we will miss those fingerprints on the table and fridge and the child tiptoeing down the hall to sneak some baby carrots from the fridge in the middle of the night. Cherish those moments. They pass way to fast.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful Sunday with me! As I read your sweet words, my mind drifted back to a time when my family was young like your's is, and I found myself wishing I could go back to those days...There are things I would do differently now, and other things I just wish I could savor once more!

Today, my Sundays are mostly "silent"...but when the silence becomes too deafening, we just go to where the grandchildren are, and our hearts are filled with the "Sunday" sounds we treasure the most!

My love to you, and your dear family...
Caroline

Charity Angel Kerr said...

Thanks Caroline for your comment. You know I love you, and I am so glad that we have been able to be in touch again, especially this time of year. I have not forgotten what you did for my family. :)