Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Charity Angel goes to the Capitol


Inside the Rotunda in Jefferson City, you will find beauty. Not only artistically speaking, but in the messages that have been carved in stone on the walls and within the house and senate chambers.

My favorite inscription is on one of the walls that is along side a stairway that leads up to the floor that you can see in the picture to the left. The inscription says "Righteousness Exalteth a Nation." I believe that this is absolutely true. A nation that does not hold to the principles of freedom, will become enslaved, and even destroyed.

I would like to take a moment and share with you a few pictures that I took while visiting my capitol building, mine and every other Missourians' building. In this building we have our representatives in the house and senate that are elected by us, and sent to represent our best interests, but above all, to protect our liberty.




The reason that I was at the capitol yesterday was to attend the Legislative Academy that was hosted by several groups that help support Missourians and keep a watchful eye on what is going on in Jefferson City. We were given a lot of good information about the process and how to approach State Representatives with our issues and how to better communicate with them. We also got to experience a mock hearing. This experience took me back to my experiences in Los Alamos, New Mexico at Los Alamos middle School. I had the opportunity to be a chief justice with several justices, and hear cases that were brought before us. At another time, I also experienced being a defense attorney. The way that the hearing was run, reminded me of both of these experiences, because it functions similarly. The committee will hear the legislator discuss their bill, and also hear witnesses for and against the bill, and then they will deliberate amongst themselves privately to determine if the bill gets to move on or not. Many bills get stuck in the committee graveyard.

I wanted to see things from this perspective since I am going to be running as Representative of the 137th district. I wanted to see what people are taught and how they would approach me as a representative, and see things from the perspective of the lobbyists as well. I also gained new insight into what a representative's schedule is like, and the atmosphere there. I plan to go back with my family for the Inaugural ball as well as on my own to watch sessions and to also observe the lobbyists and individual citizens.

Afterwards, I went to dinner at a great little place called "Madison's Cafe." The food was great. I chose to try their hot chocolate and had their Santa Fe Salad. I recommend them both. This dinner included other coordinators across the state for Campaign for Liberty, and Jared Craighead. His assistant, I believe she was, also joined us later. I did not stay the entire time since I was not staying over and needed to return to Springfield. I will say this much about it, I gained some new insights, and I hope that bridges can be built, but I also realized a few things about myself.

I realized how much more I want to be a true representative of the people. I reflected on how I have felt ignored by my representatives, not at the state level, but ignored all the same. My experiences have only deepened my commitment to the people. To make certain that they know that I not only hear them, but that I really listen. I hope that I can get to know them one by one, find out what matters to them, and protect their liberty.

Missouri is my favorite place on earth. I love the people here and the wide range of ideas,personalities and cultures that I have encountered. I love the land, the soil and the water. I love nature and the abundance of wildlife. Missouri has a lot to offer the world, but first, Missouri needs to be for Missourians. There are many great state representatives, and I am excited about many of those recently elected. I hope that I too, will be refreshing to my friends and neighbors in my district. I hope that one day, they will be able to say that they knew that they mattered to me. Whether or not I am successful at winning the election, I still will have won. I will have won because of the bridges built, the people served, and the knowledge gained.

If you live in the 137th feel free to talk to me anytime. I will be out and about for the purpose of meeting you, and finding out what matters to you, what your values are, what you want to see for our district. I will also be talking to the business owners within this district, because after all, they help Missouri too.







No comments: